Saturday , February 21 2026

Syrian army’s fighting with Kurdish-led SDF intensifies

10-01-2026

DAMASCUS: The Syrian army launched new strikes in parts of Aleppo on Thursday after ordering residents to evacuate, accusing the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) of using Kurdish-majority areas to launch attacks as clashes entered a third day.

The army released more than seven maps identifying areas it said would be targeted in strikes, urging residents to leave immediately for their safety. Its operations command announced a curfew in the neighborhoods of Sheikh Maqsoud and Ashrafieh from 3 pm (1200 GMT).

The fighting, which erupted on Tuesday, has driven thousands of civilians from their homes and killed and wounded several people.

“Today, up to this moment, almost 13,500 people left. Most of the cases we saw were of women, children and people with special needs and some patients were evacuated to the hospital and some were given medical care in ambulances,” said Faisal Ali, head of operations for the Syrian civil defence forces in Aleppo.

The SDF said their fighters were engaged in intense clashes with Damascus-aligned factions and auxiliaries near Aleppo’s Syriac neighborhood, adding that they had inflicted what they described as heavy losses.

The violence and competing claims over responsibility highlight a deepening and increasingly deadly standoff between Damascus and Kurdish authorities who have resisted integrating into the central government.

Accusations of ethnic cleansing

The Kurdistan Regional Government’s Prime Minister Masrour Barzani said he was deeply concerned by attacks on Kurdish neighborhoods in Aleppo, warning that targeting civilians and attempts to alter the area’s demography amounted to what he described as ethnic cleansing.

Barzani called on all sides to exercise restraint, protect civilians and pursue dialogue.

The SDF accused Damascus-aligned factions of threatening unlawful attacks on civilian areas, saying public warnings of shelling could amount to forced displacement and war crimes under international humanitarian law.

More residents were seen leaving Sheikh Maqsoud and Ashrafieh through designated safe corridors.

The SDF are a US-backed alliance that controls much of northeastern Syria and has been Washington’s main local partner in the fight against Islamic State.

Kurdish-led authorities established a semi-autonomous administration in those areas and parts of Aleppo during Syria’s 14-year war and have resisted fully integrating into the Islamist-led government that took power after former President Bashar al-Assad was ousted in late 2024.

Damascus reached a deal with the SDF last year that envisaged full integration by the end of 2025, but progress has been limited, with both sides accusing the other of stalling.

The United States has sought to mediate, holding meetings as recently as Sunday, though those talks ended without tangible results.

Diplomats warn that failure to integrate the SDF into Syria’s army risks further violence and could draw in Turkey, which has threatened military action against Kurdish fighters it regards as terrorists.

Turkey said on Thursday it is ready to help Syria if asked after the Syrian army independently launched what it called a “counter-terrorism” operation in Aleppo.

Earlier, Turkey said it is ready to help Syria if asked after the Syrian army independently launched a “counter-terrorism” operation in Aleppo, where fierce fighting broke out in recent days between government forces and Kurdish fighters. (Int’l News Desk)

Check Also

Indian university presents Chinese robot as its own at AI summit

21-02-2026 Bureau Report NEW DELHI: An Indian university has been asked to vacate its stall …