Sunday , November 30 2025

Palestinian death toll surpasses 70,000 since start of war

01-12-2025

GAZA STRIP: The death toll from Israel’s genocidal war against the Palestinian people in Gaza has surpassed 70,000, the Health Ministry in the enclave says, as Israeli military attacks continue.

The ministry said on Saturday that at least 70,100 people have been killed across the Gaza Strip since Israel’s genocidal war against the Palestinian people in Gaza began on October 7, 2023. More than 170,900 others have been wounded.

The grim milestone comes as Israel has continued to launch attacks on Gaza despite a United States-brokered ceasefire with Hamas that came into effect last month.

Medics reported earlier on Saturday that two Palestinian children were killed in an Israeli drone attack on the town of Bani Suheila, east of Khan Younis in southern Gaza.

Witnesses told media that drones dropped a bomb on a group of civilians near al-Farabi School on Saturday morning, killing two brothers, Juma and Fadi Tamer Abu Assi.

The two boys were taken to the Nasser Medical Complex in Khan Younis with critical injuries, where they were later pronounced dead, medical sources said.

The area targeted by the attack lies beyond the so-called Yellow Line marking the Israeli forces’ redeployment boundary agreed under the ceasefire agreement, which took effect on October 10, sources said.

Also on Saturday, the Israeli military launched ground, naval, and air attacks on several parts of Gaza.

Medical sources reported that three Palestinians were injured as a result of Israeli artillery and air bombardment in the town of al-Qarara, northeast of Khan Younis.

Israeli aircraft also launched raids in the Tuffah neighborhood, in the east of Gaza City, on Saturday morning.

Additionally, attacks hit the eastern areas of Rafah city in southern Gaza.

The attacks come a day after Nasser Medical Complex announced the killing of a Palestinian by Israeli drone fire beyond the Yellow Line in the town of Bani Suheila.

Ismail al-Thawabta, director of Gaza’s Government Media Office, said on Friday that 535 Israeli violations had been documented since the ceasefire took hold.

“The humanitarian situation in Gaza is deteriorating at an unprecedented rate, and the Israeli aggression has destroyed infrastructure and essential services,” al-Thawabta said in a statement.

Israeli forces have pushed forward on a number of other fronts in the region in recent weeks.

Syrian officials said that Israeli forces raided a Syrian village on Friday and opened fire when they were confronted by residents, killing at least 13 people. Israel said it conducted the operation to apprehend suspects of a militant group planning attacks in Israel, and that the militants opened fired at troops, wounding six.

Israel also has escalated strikes in Lebanon, saying its targeting Hezbollah sites and asserting that the militant group is attempting to rearm.

Hezbollah called on Pope Leo XIV to “reject injustice and aggression,” in reference to the near-daily Israeli strikes, despite a ceasefire that ended the 14-month war between the two sides a year ago. The pope is visiting the region on his first foreign trip.

In the Israeli-occupied West Bank, Israeli soldiers were accused by Palestinians of executing two men on Thursday after footage aired by two Arab television stations showed troops shooting the men after they appeared to surrender. The Israeli military said that it was investigating. (Int’l News Desk)

Check Also

Putin to discuss ‘privileged partnership’ with Modi on India visit

01-12-2025 MOSCOW: Russian President Vladimir Putin and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi will discuss all …