Saturday , August 30 2025

Israel’s war on Gaza kills 63,000 Palestinians, starves 322

30-08-2025

GAZA STRIP: Gaza’s Health Ministry has recorded five deaths “due to famine and malnutrition” in the past 24 hours, including two children, bringing the total number of hunger-related deaths to 322, including 121 children.

At least 51 Palestinians, including children and aid seekers, have been killed since dawn in Israeli attacks across Gaza, including several in the al-Mawasi area – a so-called “humanitarian zone” designated by Israel – in the south.

Israel has recovered the body of captive Ilan Weiss from the Gaza Strip, according to the Israeli army, along with the belongings of someone believed to be another captive, whose identity has not yet been cleared for publication.

Israel has killed at least 63,025 people and wounded 159,490 in its war on Gaza. A total of 1,139 people were killed in Israel during the Hamas-led attacks on October 7, 2023, and more than 200 were taken captive.

Turkiye viewing Israel as ‘national security threat’

Al Jazeera’s Resul Serdar has explained that the Turkish foreign minister’s condemnation of Israel over its war on Gaza today comes amid years of increasingly tense relations between the two countries.

Israel and Turkiye have maintained strong ties across the military, intelligence-sharing and technology sectors for years, but the relationship suffered dramatically in 2010 with Israel’s deadly attack on a Gaza-bound aid flotilla. The nearly two-year war on Gaza has made things worse.

“It’s not only about the humanitarian crisis that’s unfolding in Gaza; Turkiye gradually is perceiving Israel as a national security threat,” Serdar explained, noting that Israel’s expansionism and attacks across the wider Middle East have been cause for concern.

“Diplomats in Ankara are seeing that if Israel is not stopped, eventually there might be a direct military confrontation between these two countries,” he said.

He added that the Turkish foreign minister’s comments also show that Turkiye is looking to the Global South and other powers to take action, amid the US and EU’s largely unwavering support for Israel.

Israeli drone strike kills one in southern Lebanon

One person has been killed in an Israeli drone strike in the Nabatieh district of southern Lebanon, Lebanon’s state-run National News Agency (NNA) is reporting.

The report said the drone had fired a guided missile at a car at the eastern entrance to the town of Sir el-Gharbiyeh, resulting in one death.

The Israeli military has been carrying out daily air attacks across Lebanon, claiming it is targeting Hezbollah operatives, in violation of the November 2024 ceasefire reached with the group.

Foreign ministers of six European countries condemn Gaza offensive

The foreign ministers of Spain, Norway, Ireland, Slovenia, Iceland and Luxembourg have released a joint statement strongly condemning the latest offensive in Gaza, as Israel’s military said it had begun the initial stages of the attack on Gaza City.

The statement said that the intensification of military operations would “lead to the intolerable deaths of innocent Palestinian civilians, including women, children and elderly people”, as well as endangering the lives of Israeli captives held by Hamas.

The statement said the ministers were “horrified” by last week’s confirmation of famine in Gaza, and denounced the forced displacement of Palestinians, “which represents a flagrant violation of international law”.

“We urge the Israeli government to immediately reconsider its decision and cease operations. This spiral of violence must end,” it said.

The Hamas armed group has now released a statement, praising Turkiye for its decision “in support of the Palestinian people”. (Int’l News Desk)

Check Also

Russia, China slam Europe over Iran ‘snapback’ sanctions move

30-08-2025 MOSCOW: Russia and China have condemned a decision by Britain, Germany and France to …