Wednesday , February 18 2026

Israel’s hilltop settlers coordinate attacks to expel Palestinians

26-12-2025

DEIR DIBWAN/ WEST BANK: The Jewish settler outpost of Or Meir is small. A handful of prefabricated white shelters, it sits at the end of a short dirt track on a hill leading up from Road 60, a major route that dissects the Israeli-occupied West Bank.

Over time, similar modest dwellings have turned into sprawling Israeli housing developments, part of a plan that members of Israel’s cabinet acknowledge they have implemented to prevent the birth of a Palestinian state.

The process can be violent. A Bedouin family told Reuters attackers who descended from Or Meir hurling Molotov cocktails drove them off Palestinian-owned land nearby last year. They fear they won’t ever be able to return.

Messages posted on Or Meir’s channel on the Telegram social media platform celebrate chasing out Bedouin herders and show the new settlers’ determination to secure lasting control over what they call “strategic” territory.

This year was one of the most violent on record for Israeli civilian attacks against Palestinians in the West Bank, according to United Nations data that shows more than 750 injuries and the rapid spread of outposts throughout land Palestinians hope will form the heart of a future state. Israeli NGO Peace Now has recorded 80 outposts built in 2025, the most since the organization started its records in 1991. On December 21, Israel’s cabinet approved 19 more settlements, including former outposts. Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said the goal was to block Palestinian statehood.

For decades, groups of settlers have built outposts on West Bank land without official authorization from the Israeli state. Israeli authorities in the West Bank sometimes demolish such camps but they often reappear, and in many cases end up being accepted by Israel as formal settlements. Smotrich has pushed efforts to formalize more outposts.

Most of the world considers all Israel’s settlement activity in the West Bank illegal under international law relating to military occupations. Israel disputes this view.

“Since establishing our presence on the land, we have driven away nine illegal Bedouin outposts, and returned 6,000 dunams to Jewish hands,” the account representing Or Meir’s settlers said in a post in September, using the dunam measurement equal to about 1,000 square meters, or a quarter of an acre.

Reuters could not independently confirm all the attacks on the Bedouins or determine who posted on behalf of Or Meir, which was established about two years ago. The settlers there declined to speak to the news agency.

In response to Reuter’s questions about intensifying settler violence in the West Bank, an Israeli official blamed a “fringe minority” and said Palestinian attacks against Israelis were underreported by the media. The Palestinian Authority did not respond to requests for comment.

Messages on the Or Meir Telegram channel, which is public, suggest a well-organized plan to take land, a finding supported by Reuter’s examination of a dozen other Telegram and WhatsApp groups representing similar groups, three interviews with settlers and pro-settler groups and on-the-ground reporting around Or Meir and a new settlement. “The evidence shows that this is a systematic pattern of violence,” said Milena Ansari, a researcher based in Jerusalem for Human Rights Watch whose work includes research on settlements in the West Bank.

The Bedouin Musabah family said they were attacked at night in June from the direction of Or Meir. Charred remains of their home and a barn were still visible to a Reuter’s team in December. “We were living here, sitting in God’s safety,” said Bedouin shepherd Shahada Musabah, 39, now sheltering in the nearby Palestinian village of Deir Dibwan. “They started to set fire and they destroyed everything. They didn’t leave us anything at all.” (Reuters)

Check Also

‘Trump’s New World Order has become real’

18-02-2026 MUNICH: Downtown Munich is best-known for chic shops and flashy fast cars but right …