30-11-2025
BISSAU: An army general has been sworn in as Guinea-Bissau’s new head of state a day after an apparent coup.
Gen Horta N’Tam becomes the transitional president for a period of one year. He took the oath on Thursday, in brief and muted proceedings at army headquarters.
N’Tam, who until a day earlier had been head of the presidential guard, barely cracked a smile during his swearing-in or while stood outside flanked by officers while for cameras.
Some civil society groups in Guinea-Bissau have accused outgoing President Umaro Sissoco Embalo of masterminding a “simulated coup” against himself with the help of the military, saying it was a ruse to block election results from coming out in case he lost.
“This manoeuvre aims to prevent the publication of the electoral results scheduled for tomorrow, November 27,” the civil society coalition Popular Front said in a statement on Wednesday.
His closest election rival Fernando Dias has also echoed these claims but Embalo has not responded to the allegations.
He has said he has survived multiple coup attempts during his time in office. However, his critics have previously accused him of fabricating crises in order to crack down on dissent.
The military has already suspended the electoral process and blocked the release of the results of Sunday’s presidential election which were expected on Thursday.
An unnamed military source has told media that Embalo is being held by the army at its staff headquarters, where he is being “well-treated”.
In response to news of the apparent coup, the chair of the African Union (AU) Mahmoud Ali Youssouf demanded “the immediate and unconditional release of President Embalo and all detained officials”.
He also reminded Guinea-Bissau’s leaders of “the imperative of respecting the ongoing electoral process”.
Sandwiched between Senegal and Guinea, the West African country is known as a drug-trafficking hub where the military has been influential since independence from Portugal in 1974.
Guinea-Bissau has witnessed at least nine coups or attempted coups over the last five decades.
The latest of these, on Wednesday, saw a group of military officers announce they had seized control of the country. Earlier, government sources told media that Embalo had been arrested.
Gunshots were heard in the capital, Bissau, but it was not immediately clear who was involved in the shooting or if there were any casualties.
The officers then appeared on state TV, saying they had suspended the electoral process.
They said they were acting to thwart a plot by unnamed politicians who had “the support of a well-known drug baron” to destabilize the country, and announced the closure of its borders and imposed a night-time curfew.
The election results were expected on Thursday, both Embalo and his main challenger, Dias, had claimed victory.
Dias was supported by former Prime Minister Domingos Pereira, who had been disqualified from running.
Late on Wednesday afternoon, Embalo told France 24 in a phone call: “I have been deposed.”
Government sources later told media that Dias, Pereira and Interior Minister Botche Cande had also been detained. (Int’l News Desk)
Pressmediaofindia